Using a slow computer can be very frustrating; especially when you have important things to do on it. These 15 tips for speeding up your computer can help you combat this common problem. The truth is that surfing the web on a slow computer is aggravating. The same goes for trying to use a resource hungry program on a slow PC or laptop.
When your computer is running slow, simple tasks become more difficult. Luckily, speeding up your computer is something that can be attained without much computer expertise.
Causes of why a computer slows down over time are numerous. Typically, computers or laptops begin to lose their speeds gradually. In other cases, the loss of PC speed may happen very quickly. No matter how it happens, knowing how to make your computer faster is the key. The tips we put together on the best ways to speed up your computer are useful for all Windows operating systems. They can work on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP. And most of them can help you speed up your laptop or computer for free!
Looking for a great portable ice making machine? Take a look at The 6 Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews
Reasons For A Slow Computer
Before we delve into how to speed up a computer using either Windows 10, 8, 7 or XP, we must examine the reasons. There are several factors which can lead to your computer speed diminishing. Checking this list, may answer your “why is my computer so slow” questions. Below, are some of the most common reasons why your PC or laptop may have lost some of its speed.
- Programs Running In The Background – Countless of programs love to start up and run the minute you turn on your computer. The only problem is that they end up using memory and resources. The end result is a slower computer.
- Needs A Reboot – Reboot is when you start and restart your PC. If you haven’t rebooted your computer in a while, it can become slower. Too often, having your BIOS data reload and reboot will work wonders.
- Virus or Malware – Getting a virus or malware on your computer or laptop is another common issue for systems slowing down. Visiting dangerous sites or downloading free programs are leading causes. The same if you don’t have an anti-virus running and use the web without it.
- Temp Files – Your hard drive may be full of temp files and you don’t even know it. These files have been accumulating for a while, depending on the last time you deleted them. Over time, they take up more than enough space to cause your computer to become very slow. You can use top rated temp files and junk cleaner CCleaner. Get CCleaner Professional for an automatically cleaner, faster PC!
- Lack Of Space On Hard Drive – If you have less than 20% space on your hard drive, it is time to worry. Computers slow down significantly if there isn’t sufficient space on your HD.
- Hardware Conflicts – A PC running slow can be due to hardware conflicts. This happens whenever the same resource is used by two devices on your computer. Check your PC’s Device Manager to see if there are any hardware conflicts.
- Lack Of Memory – Most programs today demand DDR ram and memory to perform well. If your computer has very little memory available, it will slow down dramatically. The minimum memory on a PC or laptop should be 1GB. In addition, your memory may need to be upgraded to a better and bigger.
- Outdated Drivers – Too often, people don’t bother updating their computer’s drivers. It is the same as using your Smartphone with an antiquated application which has already been updated.
- PC or Laptop Is Old – Computers and laptops age at higher rates than human years. If your system is older than 3 years, it may be time for an upgrade. Each day, the minimum requirements needed by applications and programs increases. Older computers, are often unable to handle these prerequisites.
- Corrupted HD or Hardware Failure – Having a corrupted hard drive can be a major cause for your computer being slow. Lack of fragmenting your HD can also lead to the corruption of it. The same for hardware failure such as bad RAM, HD or CPU.
One way to make your computer or laptop faster is by using top rated security and performance program such as PC Matic below.
Tips on How To Make Your Computer Faster
Now that we have pinpointed some of the causes for your PC or laptop slowing down, let’s get to the solutions. The following are the best ways on how to fix a slow computer or laptop.
1 – Disable Startup Programs: Take a look at the right side of your system to see the programs which are starting up when you turn on your computer. The icons you see by the computer’s clock are the ones which are starting automatically. In most instances, the programs add themselves to the auto starting process after you install them. All programs want to be running even if you are not using them. And as it turns out, you usually don’t even need them anyway.
To see the programs you have running you need to launch the Task Manager. You can do this by right-clicking on your tab by where the system clock is. Or you can bring it up by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Entering “msconfig” when you press Run on your computer will also bring up the System Configuration Utility box.
Once you have the Startup tab present from the Task Manager, you can select the programs you don’t want starting up. There are services there as well. Hit the “Disable” option and the program or service will no longer begin each time you turn on your computer or laptop. This doesn’t mean you are deleting the program, only disabling from starting up. Make sure you reboot your computer or laptop for the changes to take effect.
2 – Get Rid Of JunkWare: Every computer or laptop will come full of crapware the makers decided to give you. The problem is that most of the time, you won’t ever use them or really needed it. These junkware programs take up system resources, space and memory. Uninstall any of the programs you don’t use or need.
3 – Change Power Settings: For anyone who wants to know how to speed up computer using Windows 10, this is a great tip. Using the Power saver plan on Window’s 10 can vastly cause your PC to slow down. The reason for this is that your computer will slow down its performance. This happens so it can save energy. To make your computer run faster, change your power settings. Use either the Balanced or High Performance power saving plan.
4 – Perform Regular Maintenance: Anyone who drives a car without doing regular maintenance will ultimately have problems. The same rules apply to your laptop or PC. Temp files and cookies are one of the leading causes for your computer running slow. Make sure you delete all temp files and that you perform regular cleaning.
5 – Install Tune-up Utilities: There are several great tune-up utilities you can use to make your computer run efficiently. Installing one of these system maintenance programs can do wonders for your computer. Using a reputable program will lead to making your computer faster. In addition to speeding up your PC, the system will run more adequately and safer. Using a program such as CCleaner can do wonders for your computer’s speed. The program can help you get rid of cookies, junk and even registry key errors. You can download it for free here.
6 – Use Extra Storage Options: In the event that your system is running low on space, you can use an external hard drive. You can also use cloud storage as way to free up space on your computer. Freeing up space may be a way to add space so you can install PC tune-up utilities.
7 – Decrease Animations: When people ask how can I speed up my computer, they don’t think of animations as being part of the problem. However, the animations used by Windows often cause the PC to decelerate. This includes visual effects and shadows found on Windows 10.While they look great, disabling these added features are an excellent slow computer fix. You can right click on the start button and choose system to disable these computer slowing animations.
In addition, you can also press Windows Key + X. Select “Advance System Settings and then click on the “Settings” button found right under Performance. To speed up your computer or laptop, select “Adjust for best performance.” This is found under Visual Effects.
8 – Boost Your Ram Amount: A great way to make Windows 10 run faster or any other Windows for that matter, is adding more ram. The higher your computer’s RAM total is, the better it will perform. You can find high-performing RAM for a lot less than you may think. Boosting your computer’s or laptop’s total RAM will result in faster speeds. In addition, your system will run more efficiently.
9 – Tweak Your Web Browsers: Most of us use the Internet quite frequently on our computers. The problem is that the majority of browsers can significantly slow your computer down. They have add-ons and extensions which take up additional memory. If you see any extensions or add-ons on your browser you don’t use or need, remove them. You can also disable them just in case. Disabling content such as Flash which loads automatically, can save you speed as well.
10 – Make Use Of Windows Troubleshooter Tool: For those whose computer is running slow, there is a great tool on Windows to help them. Windows 10 has a troubleshooter tool that can find any issues in performance. Once the problems have been discovered, the troubleshooter can solve them for you. All you need to do is go to your search box and type “troubleshooting.” Once you see the “Troubleshooting Control Panel,” icon, click on it. Then, you select the “Run maintenance tasks” and Windows will begin checking for problems.
11 – Perform Adware, Virus and Malware Scan: Nothing can cause computer slow-down more than malware, virus or adware. It is very easy to get your PC infected by them when you browse the web. There are several great tools which you can use to scan your system for any such threats.
12 – Perform Hard Disk Defragmentation: Performing regular defragmentation of your computer’s hard disk is essential. Not only for the speed of your computer, but also its overall performance. You can experience hard disk failure by not defragmenting your hard disk as well.
All Windows versions have the Defragment tool available. It is there to help you keep your hard disk clear of errors and bad sectors. Go to your system and select the “Analyze now” to see if you need to have your hard disks defragmented. Keep in mind that you will need to have a certain amount of free space to do so.
13 – Uninstall Unused Programs: Too often, we install programs on our computers and only used them once. However, some programs may run in the background even though you are not using them. Check to see which programs you are no longer using and hit the uninstall button. You will not only make your computer much faster, but also safer, depending on the programs.
14 – Reboot Your Computer: While this may sound simple enough, it is something that can lead to your computer being slow. Not using the reboot button can lead to several problems, besides speed. Changes are often not applied to the system until you reboot your computer. If you installed a program or software, it won’t take effect until you hit restart.
Does your job makes you crazy? Be sure to read 9 Ways To Deal With A Job You Hate
15 – Reinstall Windows or Reset Your Computer: This is by far the last option you should resort to if nothing else has worked. For those that have modern versions of Windows, this is easier than ever though. You can do a reset of your PC once all other methods to speed up your computer have failed. If that doesn’t work, then the last resort is installing a fresh Windows version. Be sure to back up your files and important data since all will be gone once you do this.